If not, consider these tips:
- Use high contrast colors. One study shows that high color contrast can improve out-of-home advertising recall by 38%.
- Keep the message readable in four to five seconds—generally seven words or less.
- Use big fonts. Always test your type either the old fashioned way, by printing out a sample line in actual size and viewing it from a distance, or by using on-line tools supplied by outdoor companies.
- Select readable, bold fonts, and avoid ornate and serif fonts.
- Allow enough kerning to keep the letters from streaming together.
Outdoor remains a very effective medium in many applications—one that is cost-effective and impossible to ignore. Just be sure to use your space wisely.